Saturday, June 09, 2007

The EuropeCrazy Holiday Hit List - Part 1

No playlist this week as I've been too busy over the past week catching up with all the telly shows and films that I still had to watch.

However....

As summer has now officially arrived here at EC HQ, over the next couple of weeks I'll be taking a look back at some of the songs which have reminded me of past holidays.

So let's start with 1994 and 1995.

Amsterdam 1994: "Saturday Night" - Whigfield. Daft dance routine - check. Daft lyrics - check. Cheesy Danish woman - check. Will forever be linked with my first ever holiday abroad.

Dublin 1995: "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" - U2. Perfect soundtrack for a visit to Dublin, and most appropriately from the city's favourite sons.

Ostend 1995: "Swentibold" - Clouseau. Off to Belgium where I rediscovered one of their most enduring pop acts. This is a bold, brassy upbeat treat which went very well with the hot weather.

"Conquest of Paradise" - Vangelis. Not a particular favourite of mine but needs mentioning as this dreary instrumental seemed to be a favourite all over Europe that summer.

Coming soon: 1996 and 1997.

No comments: