Monday, January 14, 2008

The Swedish Grammys: my final words on the subject

Over at my other blog Planet Salem, I've been having a non-stop party since the Grammisgalan last Wednesday night. And then I realised that I hadn't actually written about this year's list of winners, when I should have done so last week.

So here they are.

Best Album: "Tillbaka Till Samtiden" - Kent. A rather obvious choice - not only was it critically acclaimed, but it was also the year's best seller. I was disappointed that Salem didn't win this one, but if he wasn't going to, then I'm glad that Kent did.

Best Hip Hop/Soul Act: Adam Tensta. He's a newcomer to the Swedish music scene but it looks as if we'll be hearing a lot more from him.

Best Male Artist: Salem Al Fakir. A great achievement for a new(ish) artist to win this category, but when it's a genius like Salem then he deserves it.

Best Group: Kent. A tough category, with Mando Diao and The Hives also nominated - but I wanted The Ark to win this. Well done to Kent, though.

Best Female Artist: Säkert! Well deserved award for Hello Saferide's Annika Norlin, who switched to her native Swedish with great success.

Best New Artist: Salem Al Fakir. Obviously!!! No contest!

Best Live Act: The Hives. I got this one right as well!

Best Hard Rock Act: Mustasch. I don't know anything about them, but well done.

Best Dansband: Benny Anderssons Orkester with Helen Sjoholm and Tommy Korberg. What, not Magnus or Nanne? Benny Andersson...sure I remember him from somewhere :-)

Best video: "Det Snurrar I Min Skalle" - Familjen: I still haven't seen this so I can't comment.

Best Producer: Salem Al Fakir. Not only a great singer/composer/musician but also works musical magic in the studio. You need to remember that he recorded his debut album in his own home.

Best Lyricist: Annika Norlin. Interesting that she is now rewarded for her Swedish language work.

Best Composer: Salem Al Fakir. The diversity and depth of the music on his debut album proved that he thoroughly deserved this award.

Best Song: "Om Du Lamnade Mig Nu" - Lars Winnerback & Miss Li. The duo narrowly beat off Sahara Hotnights for this award. "Good Song" came 5th, but it will always be the best song for me!

I was very happy with the outcome of this year's awards - quite fitting really, as last year was such a good year for Swedish music and this is only the tip of a (very massive) musical iceberg! Hopefully 2008 will be the same.

No comments: