Friday, June 20, 2008

The Square-Eyed Couch Potato: May-June 2008

Thank goodness for Euro 2008: as there has been little else on the box to inspire me over the last four weeks.

And something very strange to start with: why have I inexplicably abandoned two of the series which were once the highlights of my viewing week? I didn’t go back to "Heroes" (BBC-2, Thursdays) after the first episode. Maybe I’ll catch the repeats though.


I still think it may be a series too far for "Doctor Who" (BBC-1, Saturdays). There’s nothing wrong with David Tennant as the Doctor, and I’m sure Catherine Tate will make a feisty and fun assistant, but there’s just something missing.


Two of my new favourite programmes this month are American imports.
"Greek" (BBC-3, Sundays) is a college-based comedy drama about a brother and sister and their respective fraternity/sorority adventures. It’s extremely warm and likeable, and you’ll be rooting for almost everyone...well, except evil Rebecca and cheating Evan!


"Six Degrees" (ITV, Wednesdays) is one of the most engaging and involving new dramas I’ve seen in a long time. It’s not about police/lawyers/doctors/forensic scientists...it’s just about six people, living their lives in New York, and how they are all linked in one way or another. It’s well-acted and watchable - so why was it cancelled after one series?


The recent series of "ER" (More 4, Thursdays) ended with an explosion - why couldn’t there have been a happy ending for once? New, young characters are promised for the next (and final) series: maybe it’s just as well that it’s ending, as it has gone as far as it can go.

I may not always watch it every week, but I still make sure "Gladiators" (Sky One, Sundays) figures in my viewing schedule. Even if the new version isn’t quite hitting the classic heights and lacking the sparkle and personality of the original, it’s still worth watching.

No comments: