Saturday, August 30, 2008

Retro Saturday: The Montrose Avenue

What was my favourite album of 1998?

"Thirty Days Out" by The Montrose Avenue.

This band is possibly one of the most underrated British bands of the last, well, 10 years anyway. They existed between 1996 and 1999 and I discovered them thanks to Chris Evans regularly featuring their brilliant single "Where Do I Stand" on his radio show at that time, and I bought their fantastic debut album "Thirty Days Out" the first week it was released.

Influenced by close-harmony jangly guitar acts like Crosby Stills and Nash and The Byrds, which is a good place to start.

They are now defunct, but live on at their MySpace page at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=60341757 where you can find songs like the wonderful "Start Again" and "Where Do I Stand" and "Yesterday's Return" and "She's Looking For Me" and .....oh just go there and enjoy them for yourselves.

No comments: