Sunday, August 10, 2008

UK Charts Update

There is something seriously rotten in the top 40, when the trashy, contrived, 'oh aren't I shocking?' "I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry gets to no.1 in the chart, (and knock Kid Rock off no. 1), whilst The Verve's great comeback single "Love Is Noise" can only get to no.5.

I suppose the only consolation is that this week's no.1 has got one-hit-wonder written all over it, but why are the charts all over Europe falling for this tedious publicity seeker?

Elsewhere, I'm happy to see that The Script have made top 5 with their second hit "The Man Who Can't Be Moved", but just who is buying that awful "5 Years Time" by Noah and the Whale? It reminds me of that "JCB Song" from a couple of years ago. Yes, that bad.

I do fear for the chart success of Gabriella Cilmi and Sam Sparro's follow-up singles to "Sweet About Me" and "Black and Gold" respectively, as these songs are still in the top 30 after all this time and "Save The Lies" and "21st Century Life" will probably be neglected as a result.

The top 40 chart has become ridiculously stagnant, with songs hanging around for several months at a time. I'm not suggesting we go back to the old days when a song went straight in at no.1 and then disappeared in a fortnight, but the UK chart is now very stale indeed and something needs to be done to put some life back into it. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

AcerBen said...

Aww I quite like her actually. The album has some decent choons on it.
The top 40 is pretty damn boring though.