Sunday, December 14, 2008

2008-50: No.1 - Shouldn't tell you what I got inside but I just need to let it out


"It's Only You Part II" - Salem Al Fakir.

Deja vu? You may remember the original version of this song appearing in my 2007-50, no. 17 to be precise. So you could argue that this song shouldn't even be here on a technicality. But it is, it's my chart, I make the rules here...and besides, it's such a radically different version that it's like a new song anyway :)))

I immediately loved this new version of the song: it is bright, sparkling, happy and uplifting, and as you would expect from Salem it is just pure musical perfection with a timeless quality. My love of this song is reflected in the fact that it is now in the top 10 of my iTunes play count. I won't let a day pass without hearing this song. I just love it.
But this presented me with a dilemma. To have a Salem song at no.1 for two years running would be a bit reminiscent of the Spice Girls or the X Factor getting the Christmas no.1 every year. I didn't want it to be a foregone conclusion.
But then I thought about it again: the no.1 should be my favourite song of the year. And this is.
I know it's a bit early to talk about the 2009-50, but if Salem's new album lives up to the greatness of his 2007 debut, then don't be surprised to see him here again 365 days from now!!
So that's the end of my 2008-50 countdown. Over the next week I'll be revealing my "ones that got away" - the 25 songs which just missed out on my top 50. Some goodies in there too!!

2 comments:

Poster Girl said...

Maybe not a surprising #1 ;) ...but a completely justified one! There's magic in this song. In a just world this would be his UK breakthrough song, like "With Every Heartbeat" was for Robyn.

Fantastic countdown, unsurprisingly.

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Aw thanks!

I love your description of this song - yes it is rather magical isn't it!

Glad you enjoyed the chart, and I'm looking forward to reading your list of musical favourites from 2008.

I only wish it was a just world...I feel a ranting post coming on!