Saturday, April 04, 2009

Popcirkus: why all the hatred?

OK so I don't live in Sweden so I'm not really qualified to comment, but I can't really understand the negative comments directed at SVT's weekly live music series "Popcirkus", 90 minutes of music and interviews (bravely) screened at peak time on SVT2. This series featured a fine selection of the great and good in the current Swedish alternative/left-field music scene....which of course included a certain favourite Swedish singer of mine :)))

The series has now ended, but the criticism hasn't. The final straw was when I read Alex Schulman's article on Aftonbladet.se, which (IMHO) was full of venom. I get the feeling he's not a fan of Kristian Luuk or Per Sinding-Larsen....
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/alexschulman/article4822990.ab
Mr Schulman, and all the other people who have criticised this series, should be thankful they don't live in the UK, where music on prime-time television is virtually non-existent.

The good news is that Popcirkus will be back later in the year: I'll be watching it anyway.

No comments: