Saturday, November 14, 2009

2009: the hate chart

Just doing the final preparatory bits for my top 50 chart of my favourite songs of 2009. (The 2009-50 starts this coming Thursday).

For me, 2009 has been a year of musical extremes. On the one hand there have been songs this year which I have loved and will continue to love for a long time to come: most of these will have escaped the ears of the general British listening public, but thankfully there is the pop blogging community where I manage to discover some wonderful pop music overlooked by the UK media/radio programmers.

For me, the UK top 40 singles chart in 2009 has, most of the time, been a no-go area of autotuned r'n'b landfill, or songs which have overstayed their welcome, fuelled by the most unimaginative radio playlists I can remember for many years.

Now as you know I try to be a positive, glass-half-full kind of person, not really into any kind of negativity but the fact remains that where there is love, there is also hate. And so, ladies and gentlemen, may I present my 2009 hate chart of songs which no radio playlist over the past year could live without - but I never want to hear them again!

1. "Mama Do" - Pixie Lott (aargh!)
2. "Halo" - Beyonce
3. "In For The Kill" - La Roux (the year's most overrated act)
4. "My Life Would Suck Without You" - Kelly Clarkson
5. "Fight For This Love" - Cheryl Cole
6. "T Shirt" - Shontelle
7. "Sober" - Pink
8. "Boom Boom Pow" - Black Eyed Peas
9. Any autotuned r'n'b rubbish (about 90% of the top 40!)
10. Anything by Florence and the Machine (the year's second most overrated act)

I would hope for an improvement in 2010, but then I remember that Scouting For Girls, The Ting Tings and Duffy haven't had a record out in a while :(((((

No comments: