Sunday, December 06, 2009

The 2009-50: No.15 - I'm tired of using technology, I need you right in front of me


"Ayo Technology" - Milow.

My fifteenth favourite song of 2009 is also the winner of my annual "EuropeCrazy's Great Lost European Hit of the Year" award, which is usually given to a song which deservedly dominated the European top 40 charts during the year, but which was overlooked in the UK for some inexplicable reason.

This wasn't so much a cover version of 50 Cent & Justin Timberlake's rap hit as a total reinvention; a stripped-down acoustic treat by a Belgian singer in the style of Jason Mraz (who coincidentally had my 'Great Lost European Hit...' of 2008 with "I'm Yours" which finally got a UK release and became the hit it deserved to be)

Milow's "Ayo Technology" got a brief run on the UK music video channels, but failed to hit the charts. This may perhaps be attributed to the outrageous video, or the fact that you could clearly hear every word of the song's dodgy lyrics, whereas the original seemed to get away with it.

1 comment:

Keira said...

I remember hearing this a few times and mulling it over, trying to decide if I liked it. I think its the kind of song that takes getting used to, but then gets under your skin completely. Lack of airplay is probably the reason for its failure. And the odd video...