Monday, April 12, 2010

One singer, one song...

You know I'm just a bit depressed about musical matters just now...and the other day I was thinking about how musical careers of some longevity are often reduced to one or two songs repeated ad infinitum on the increasingly unimaginative radio playlists in this country. Take David Bowie for instance. When was the last time you heard "Life On Mars" or "Starman" or "Jean Genie" on the radio? David Bowie's career as an innovative musical icon has, for the purposes of radio airplay, been reduced to two songs - "Let's Dance" and "Modern Love" - neither of which I'd number among his classics.

Anyway what all this is leading to is a fabulous post written by Kippers at the always-wonderful blog named Too Much Apple Pie. I think this post totally articulates my feelings much better than I ever could, about the ubiquity of certain songs on radio playlists...you have to read this, because it matters. http://toomuchapplepie.blogspot.com/2010/04/three-of-kind-103.html

3 comments:

Keira said...

I feel like that when it comes to Queen. Twice in one journey I heard Radio Gaga, which is one of my least favourite songs of theirs (possibly because its overplayed). They have so many better songs, why why why just constantly keep playing that one song!

Keira said...

Oh, and btw, Adam Lambert is going to be on Rich&Kats (?) show on capital later today. They keep going on about it. Glad he's getting some exposure at last. on a side note, one of my Finnish friends won a competition on a finnish radio station to meet and interview him. Thought that was pretty cool...
http://www.voice.fi/index.php?option=com_sbsfile&tmpl=audiovideo&cid=6393

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Yes you're absolutely right about Queen - these days you only ever get "Don't Stop Me Now", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" or of course "Radio Gaga".

That is really really cool that your friend won that competition! I saw him interviewed the other week on a local TV show and he came across as a really nice and pleasant guy. I hope he gets success in this country, as usual Britain is always the last place to "get" any decent music, too busy buying all that chavvy grime/urban rubbish :(